20 January 2011

Azkals mania intensifies

BY EMIL C. NOGUERA REPORTER

“AZKALS” supporters across the country are gearing up full-blast for the much-anticipated match between the Philippines and Mongolia in the Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup first leg on February 9 in Bacolod City.

Supporters from different parts of the country have started collaborating using social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter and other forums to map out plans on how to keep the 15,000-seater Panaad Stadium bustling.

A fan page called“Philippine National Football Team” with almost 50,000 followers encourages all fans to wear white shirt on the game day while team manager Dan Palami “is requesting everyone to come up with a demo video of Bamboo’s Noypi chant for the Azkals home game,” according to the site.

Filipino-British Chris Greatwich and Neil Etheridge expressed deep appreciation over the support coming from different entities.

“When we played in Panaad for the Asean [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] Cup Qualifiers in 2006, the crowd was amazing.

They are so passionate about their football and I think it makes a huge difference. I think they will become our 12th player out there,” said Greatwich who scored crucial goals in the 2010 Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean) Football Federation Suzuki Cup including a last-minute equalizer against Singapore in the Group Stage.

For his part, Etheridge said “this is great for me to play again and I will be proud to be putting on the Philippine jersey again in front of all our fans. I would like to thank them for supporting the team.”

After receiving green light from Fulham Football Club, Etheridge is expected to rejoin the team on the first week of February while Greatwich’s date of arrival is still uncertain because of personal matters.

“I live in New York and I have to renew my visa which takes some time. I have my appointment at the embassy in a few weeks so hopefully all will be OK. My visa should come through in two weeks so hopefully after that comes through I can come out,” added Greatwich.


Manila Times

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest that the Azkal fans have a "White Out" where all the fans wear white shirts and wave white towels and do the "I Believe" chant after the national anthems had been sung.

    Check out this link on how the chant is done.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YUnOoye58

    ReplyDelete