07 September 2012

Fil-German rues being out of Azkals


By Olmin Leyba

SINGAPORE – In as much as he would like to be with his Azkals pals in their quest in the AFF Suzuki Cup, Fil-German Stephan Schröck said chances of him suiting up in the Nov. 24-Dec. 1 group stages in Bangkok are slim at this point.
“Joining in November is hard. I don’t know if I can come because in that week, our club plays three times in Germany. So the possibility is slim, about one percent,” said Schröck, a rightback/midfielder with Bundesliga club TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
“If in time, something can be arranged, I’d like to join the team in November but if not, I’d stay in Germany.”
The 26-year-old Schröck, though, is optimistic the Azkals will do okay even without him.
“I’m just a small part of the team,” said the Fil-German, who rejoined the Azkals in their friendly against the Singapore Lions last night. He will also see action in the succeeding fixture against Laos in Vientiane on Monday.
“If you look at the lineup against Cambodia, it was very good, there were big names and the coach did a good job, I think,” he said of Wednesday’s match in Phnom Penh, where his teammates battled the Angor Warriors to a scoreless draw.
Schröck, who debuted for Phl XI in the Fifa World Cup Asian Qualifiers last year, savors his time with the Azkals and hopes to draw some positive vibes before returning to Hoffenheim.
“I’m happy to be here. All the time I’m with the Azkals is a special moment for me. At the moment, I’m struggling with my club, I need a new air, I hope I can be a positive and big boost for the game against Singapore and also against Laos. I also hope to get confidence back,” he said.

he Azkals are trying to work out an agreement with clubs of big guns based in Europe in an effort to form the strongest possible squad for the Suzuki Cup, where they are eyeing at least another semifinals stint.
“Right now, we can’t say which one is coming; we’ll  have to wait until beginning of November, even, before we have the final answer,” said coach Michael Weiss.
“But I’m now almost certain we’ll have a keeper, that will almost be definite. Roland Muller’s new coach is a good friend and if he continues to be number two (with MSV Duisgburg), he’ll most definitely come. And Neil (Etheridge) will not be on loan and if he continues to be third choice for Fulham, he’ll also be around,” he reported.
Weiss said it still a wait and see for the rest of the Fil-Europeans.
“(Ray) Jonsson will be there, (Jerry) Lucena, most likely, same with (Paul) Mulders. But we have to work for (the release of) Dennis Cagara. Schrock’s case will be difficult because of the schedule of his club. But it’s not a big issue. We have to look at the long term and for the big matches, we’ll have a very strong group already, we’ll have depth,” he said.
For instance, he said the roster for this ASEAN tour is teeming with talent, even with some players absent.
“If Angel (Guirado), (Demit) Omphroy and (Matt) Uy are here, they will give us even more depth, they will give us a big contribution,” he said.

philstar

No comments:

Post a Comment